If you drive a goods vehicle which is more than 3.5 tonnes in weight and it is used to carry goods as part of a trade or business, you are required by law to have a Goods Vehicle Operator's Licence. 

Applying for an Operators Licence 

Operator licence is an authorisation to operate vehicles over 3.5 tonne gross plated weight or buses in the UK and Europe. It is issued by the Traffic Commissioner to a person or organisation operating vehicles in their possession or control, it is not transferable therefore you cannot lend the licence to someone else. Obtaining operator's licence requires a commitment to it's undertakings which are promises to keep vehicles and drivers legal and safe on the road. General undertakings are specifically listed on the licence document and need to be adhered to, otherwise the licence is likely to be revoked. 

Three types of operator's licence: 

Restricted licence – Allowing to transport operators own goods or in connection with their own business. This type of licence excludes opportunity to provide transport services! 
Standard National – Includes operation of restricted licence and allows to provide domestic transport services. You should apply for this licence if you want to provide transport services 
Standard International – Allows international transport as well as benefits of the national and restricted licences. 


It is important to check which licence you require before applying. Restricted licence holders do not need to meet same financial standing criteria and do not need to engage qualified Transport Manager as a requirement. However, restricted licence holders still need to meet the same safety and compliance criteria! Obviously it is also important to stick to the own transport operation and not provide transport services to other people if running under restricted licence. 
When applying for O'Licence you will need the to meet the following requirements. 
Please ensure you are ready before starting the procedure. 


To sum up, you need: 
Proof the financial standing. 
Parking facilities for your vehicles and place public notice advert in local newspaper. 
Maintenance facilities in place. 
Transport Manager for standard national and international licences. 
Check your and your business partners history for good repute. 
Application for the operator's licence is done online through Traffic Commissioners website. You can click to log in and start the process now. 


The applications used to be made via post through GV79 form which is no longer available for internet download. If you wish to apply by post you need to contact Traffic Commissioners office and they may be able to send you the form. Paper application takes longer to process and it is much easier and quicker to apply online. Majority of correctly completed applications take seven weeks to process. There is also an opportunity to apply for interim licence which is a permission to operate before the licence is granted. However, the decision about this is not granted instantly and you will need to wait for the interim licence to be granted before operating. It is important to remember that operating vehicles without a licence or before the licence is granted is illegal and is likely to trigger disciplinary action from Traffic Commissioner. Your application may be refused! 
During the process of your application Traffic Commissioner will publish your application in Applications and Decisions or Notices and Proceedings for Bus operators. These are internet publications where all Traffic Commissioner's decisions are made available to general public. It allows general public or authorities to object if they believe you should not receive operator's licence or the location you chose to park your vehicles is unsuitable. Should there not be any objections and you submitted required information that meets the requirements your licence will be granted! At that point you will have to pay the fee for your licence, add vehicles and make sure you keep on top of COMPLIANCE and thats where we can help! 


Application Fee 

£257 payable to TC at the point of application. Card payments taken with online application (Non refundable). 

Licence Fee 

£401 after the licence is granted you will be required to make that payment which will be valid for 5 years at which point you will need to pay again. 

Public Notice 

Payable to the newspaper or their agent. This fee depends on the newspaper. 

Interim Application 

Interim application £68 you may choose to apply for interim permit which payable at the point of application. 

Do you need a Consultant? 

Our consultancy will help you with: 
Understanding the application process and how to make it as quick as possible - save time 
Take care of writing the public notice, finding correct publication and find you best price from the local newspapers 
Making sure the documents you submit are going to support your application and give it best possible chance 
Peace of mind as we will monitor the progress of the application and help you respond to letters from Traffic Commissioner 
We will also help you set up compliance after the licence is granted. You will need this to manage the responsibility and make sure you don't loose the licence. We've got easy solutions to this! 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings